By: Andy Slater (@AndySlater)
Marlins president David Samson told the Miami Herald in early November that Jose Fernandez rejected a multi-year contract offer. Now the team's star pitcher is reportedly on the trading block.
SiriusXM's Craig Mish sent out a tweet on Tuesday saying "growing sentiment around baseball and internally with the Marlins is Jose Fernandez will be traded this offseason."
My sources within the organization told me on several occasions that Fernandez would eventually be dealt for certain reasons, but no timeline was provided. Mish's report says it could be very soon.
As far as those reasons, I reported several last week on my weekday radio show on 940-AM WINZ and iHeartRadio.
I was told by multiple player sources that Fernandez wants out of Miami "ASAP".
The Marlins also are not happy with Fernandez's attitude, which may come as a shock to many. "Jose is a different person on and off camera," one player source told me. "Jose talks to management like they are children," he added.
Another player source told me Fernandez "gets a little selfish at times and isn't the best in the clubhouse."
Mish told me by phone his sources say the Marlins are looking for a "franchise altering" deal" and will get one this offseason.
Samson told WPLG's Will Manso the Marlins "do not comment on trade rumors. Some players are more likely to be traded than others. Jose fits in the latter category." Samson concluded by saying Fernandez "is a Marlin for at least the next three years and hopefully longer."
MLB.com writer Joe Frisaro reports multiple high placed sources tell him that the Marlins are "not shopping or intending to shop" Fernandez. Frisaro did say "conversations are ongoing with a number of clubs about possible trade scenarios. None are believed to include a major core player like Fernandez."
Fernandez won't be eligible for free agency until the conclusion of the 2018 season.