By: Andy Slater
Wednesday morning in a Miami-Dade courtroom, the State Attorney's Office said they need more time to investigate their case against Miami Hurricanes running back Mark Walton.
"Despite the fact of everything that's been publicized by the City of Miami Police in the news, they're still not ready," Walton's attorney Joey McCall said.
McCall told Judge Fred Seraphin that the state produced a list of 15 key witnesses and wondered what they could still be investigating. Seraphin said he didn't know, doesn't have to ask, and then granted the state's request for more time.
"Anytime that someone is accused of something that they didn't do, justice should see that the process is expeditious and not one that drags on and lingers, "McCall said after the hearing. "Hopefully the state will investigate further what we already know, that these charges are invalid, that there's nothing there, and they drop the charges against [Walton]."
The trial had been scheduled to begin June 20.
The Canes running back was arrested on April 23 and charged with DUI and knowingly driving with a suspended license.
The University of Miami suspended Walton indefinitely immediately after his arrest. As I reported, though, Walton was recently reinstated. The school has yet to release any updated statement regarding his status.
Follow @AndySlater on Twitter
(Photo: Palm Beach Post)